Tuesday, October 5, 2010

For He Cares For You

I'm always amazed at how God cares for me and how He listens to my prayers.   Yesterday morning I felt so lonely.  My family and friends are far away, and sometimes I long for those conversations with people who know me so well and I can be completely myself.  As I prayed before I set off on the day's adventure, I told God how lonely I felt.   I put on my "optimist hat," and I was determined to ride the "happy bus" all day.  I dropped Brody off at preschool, and then I went to Target to pick up something he needed for his class project.  Of course they didn't have what I was looking for, but I decided to look around the store.  While I was looking through the little boys pants for Brody, a little old lady pass by and commented on how cute the clothes were.  She was so precious looking, and I couldn't help to ask if she had children.  She immediately gave a huge smile that only a mom can give and told about her boys.  Being born in 1922, her boys were grown and they had grown children.  Most of her great grandchildren were around Brody's age.  After we shared about our children to the point of where most people say "that's nice" and move on in the store, we both just stood there.  We were just two lonely women aching for conversation.  To keep conversation going I asked if she had always lived here.  She told about when she and her husband had decided to move down here, and then she told about how he died several years ago on Christmas day.  This kindred spirit shared about when she missed him terribly how she would get up to go clean something to keep her mind busy.  She shared her feelings about how she didn't like to dwell on things she couldn't change, and her need to keep moving forward.  I was very touched to hear what her prayers were.  We had a wonderful hour of conversation talking about many things.  It was also very unique to hear how she has made many blankets over the years for the premature babies in the NICU.  I told her how much it meant to me when Brody had several hats made for him while he was in the NICU.  It was a  huge yet simple blessing to our family years ago, and it was nice to finally thank someone who does that kind of ministry.  As our time came to an end, I asked if I could pray for her.  We ended with sweet smiles and a few tears.  God knew I needed this lady even though I didn't even know the words to ask for her.  I was greatly encouraged by her and thankful God sent her my way.  The Bible is truth, and it holds many promises from God.  1 Peter 5:7 says "Cast all your care upon Him, for He cares for you."

No comments: