Sunday, July 24, 2011

Honduras Day 1

I've seen so much today that it's hard to process it all. Honduras is just beautiful. The Chorti people fasnate me. There are many stories to tell, but I'm tired and they will have to wait until another day. I briefly wanted to share about three children I meet while we were out and about.


I met the first child when we did a Mayan Ruin tour. This little guy aspires to be a tour guide there one day. He follows along the tour trying to learn as much as possible. What a unique trade to learn! I was amazed at a child determined to build a future for himself.

The other two children I met today were sisters who helped run their family's store. They had several paintings in their store. Ryan and I like to buy art we when travel to a new country, and we hang our art in the study at home. We like our art to have a story or represent something. Today's purchase has a story. The painting we brought was painted by the girls' father. The family was very excited about our purchase as well as some of our teenagers purchases. The girls were needing to go to the dentist, and today they had enough sales to do that. The younger sister also has hearing problems, and she is needing medical attention for it. It must be a lot of pressure to sales things in order to help provide for the needs of your family.


We saw lots of children working today. They work hard for survival, for basic needs, and for a good future. I'm happy to see such dedication in these little ones, but it also breaks my heart for the lack of childhood they have. Kids should be able to laugh and play and have fun. Instead, they have to become adults early in life. They know what it means to be a provider. It is quite the opposite for United States children and some adults who only know what's it's like to be provide for.

No comments: