Monday, February 6, 2012

100 Days

Look at a stone cutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it.  Yet at the hundred-and-first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not the last blow that did it, but all that had gone before.  ~Jacob A. Riis 

Today is Brody's 100th day of school.  His kindergarten class dressed up like they were 100 years old.  He's a cute little old man!
It was hard to get him to smile because he said old people do not smile.  

This morning Brody said I was the best mommy in the world.  I asked him why.  He said, "Because you make me look good."  Wow, I love this kid! 

Sitting here and looking at his picture, I think about how far he has come.  The beginning of the school year was very challenging for him, but he has gotten better every month.  It's true he still has a ways to go.  He gets in trouble, but his precious heart feels bad for the wrong choices he made.  The important thing to me is he tries.   He tries his best some days, and it falls short of what the world would consider a good day.   Several times he has told me of another kid calling him "bad" or he was on the "naughty list."  It hurts him when something like this is said.  I tell him how some of his decisions were not good ones today, but tomorrow is a new day with the opportunity to make the right decisions. 

It is the perseverance of trying our best everyday that defines our character.  If we keep putting effort forward, evidently the effort will be seen.  It's like the rock quote above...100 hits and nothing, but on the 101th try the labor is seen.  Keep on trying to be the best you can be today no matter if anyone else can see your hard work.  That hundred-and-first blow is coming!  It's coming soon!!  It's coming if we decide to live a life of perseverance!!!


I'm Cackling Carpe Diem on this 100th day and looking forward to what's ahead on the 101th day or maybe the 102nd day!

No comments: