Monday, September 10, 2012

First Tastes of Fall


Delicious autumn!  My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns.  ~George Eliot


Fall started in the stores weeks ago with candy corn, candy apples, and candies of all sort filling the shelves (Bottle Caps are my favorite this time of year).  But the past week I've noticed several of the trees are beginning to change color.   The Red Maple trees are so beautiful in our town.  North Carolina is a great place to be during Autumn.  After seeing some of the leaves fall, I was ready to taste fall.

Brody has been wanting to taste some of the fall goodness he has been seeing in the stores.  So today I got him his first candy apple.   I know he is six years old and has never eaten one before.  I would just rather give him an apple instead of candy, but today was a special occasion.  And of course, he asked so sweetly for one!

I enjoyed watching Brody process how he was going to eat it.
He got a little mad at it because it was too hard.
I sliced it up for him, and he loved it!
"It's good!"

On Sunday, he ate pumpkin muffins...another Fall favorite.

I cannot wait to make my Gingerbread Pumpkin Trifle.  Here's the recipe if you want to try it.


Gingerbread Pumpkin Trifle

1 box gingerbread cake mix or spice cake mix
2 cups cold milk
1 pkg. (3.4 oz.) instant vanilla pudding mix
1 can(15 oz.) solid-pack pumpkin
½ cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Cool Whip

Follow cake instructions and bake as directed.  Set cake to the side.  In a large bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes.  Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set.  Combine pumpkin, brown sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon; stir into pudding.  
Set aside ¼ cup gingerbread cubes.  In a 4 qt. trifle bowl or glass serving bowl, layer a third or the remaining gingerbread cubes; top with a third of the pumpkin mixture and cool whip.  Repeat layers twice.  Crumble reserved gingerbread; sprinkle over top.  Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. 


1 comment:

tanya said...

fall is my BIRTHDAY, and its also my favorite season to! we have had candy corn for three weeks now! LOL guess he got a candy apple instead of mint ice cream huh???? LOL