Sunday, January 9, 2011

Circumstances

People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and, if they can't find them, make them. ~G.B. Shaw, Mrs. Warren's Profession

I believe that if you don't like your circumstances you should do something about it.  We can't just sit around and wait for someone to do it for us. Most of the time changing circumstances requires action.  But there are times when changing our circumstances means to change our way of thinking.  We just need a new perspective on the way we're looking at what's going on.  For example, Brody has been born with some special needs.  I cannot magically snap my fingers and make him unafraid of loud noises such as the vacuum cleaner.  I  also don't need to start the vacuum up suddenly and let him cry because it's something "I have to do."  It's ok that I don't understand why it upsets him although I do try to put myself in his shoes as much as possible.  So instead of getting all frustrated due to a simple chore becoming all complicated, I change the process of how I do it. I'm going to make sure he knows I'm getting it out of the closet.  I'm going to turn it on for a couple of seconds and then remind him it's not that bad.  Then I will offer to let him help.  It does not have to be my way or the highway.  I cannot change the way he is, but I can change the way I look at the challenges.  I can continue to encourage him, and maybe his circumstances will change.  When it comes to the people we love, we don't walk away because it's hard.  Since Brody has been born I cannot begin to count how many times I've said "It is what it is."  That doesn't mean I've thrown in the towel and claimed all is lost.  It means I've accepted what I cannot change and have mentally changed the way I look at it.  In every bad situation, there is something to be glad about.  Why can't I be a modern day Pollyanna?  A good perspective can be just as important as a man of action.  

1 comment:

always a mom first. said...

i agree, but in some circumstances you have to walk away from people you love because they are not good for you,never our children but others. its not easy and its hurts sometimes but sometimes thats the only way to change it.