Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Building and Destroying and Building again

B gets more like me everyday.  Sunday afternoon at Books-A-Million, he sits down and says "Coffee and a book!  This is good!"
You can teach a student a lesson for a day; but if you can teach him to learn by creating curiosity, he will continue the learning process as long as he lives.
~Clay P. Bedford

Brody has had some destroying moments lately.  He finds enjoyment by tearing paper in shreds.  I however, do not like this.  We have had several conversations on how we are to be builders not destroyers.  I've explained that as builders we can be creative, encouragers, and be known as people who make things beautiful.  We will talk for several minutes, and it has ended every time with Brody saying, "No thanks, I destroy."
*SIGH*  

I know this is a temporary phase, and it will pass as we continue to discipline and explain that destroying things is not an acceptable behavior.  I've been really bothered by it because I felt like it was an issue of the heart until this morning.  The first thing Brody said when we got into the car was "You a builder, and I'm a destroyer."  Once again, *SIGH*!  I put my head on the stirring wheel not wanting to have this conversation again.  I mentally started trying to think of a new way to talk about this.  So I instead of saying "we cannot destroy things," I asked him why he was a destroyer.  He looked at me with his sweet face and said, "I destroy things cause I build new things with em."  Ok.  I understand now.  It is still not good to destroy some things, but at least I understand Brody's thought process better.

The more I've thought about what Brody said this morning, the more profound it has become to me.  He was really right by sometimes we must destroy something and make it new.  The Holy Spirit brought to my mind


"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!" 2 Cor. 5:17
"Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it."  Matt. 16:24-25

It has been good for God to destroy my old sinful self and become a new creation by salvation through my Lord Jesus.  What a joy destroying and losing my sinful self has been!  Through my child's curiosity, creativeness, and his ability to think outside of the box, I became so thankful for my salvation again today.  It makes Easter coming up even more exciting.  I'm glad God uses my child teach me and remind me of His goodness.
Brody got out his Bible the other day at church and began to teach from it.  This makes me smile!
He wrote me a note yesterday saying, "I love mom."
Vegetable Chips- Sweet Potato, Taro, Squash, Carrot, Green Beans, Non-hydrogenated canola oil, Sea salt, Dextrin
Speaking of building, we are trying to build up a big healthy boy!  Ryan found these tasty vegetable chips at the organic market.  They are super yummy and healthy.  This is one way to get Brody to eat his vegetables.  You know I love to share about things I find that are really good.

As we are building our family through adoption, I've been blogging about it.  Last week I posted why we are adopting and why we are adopting from India.  Check it out at
http://homefromindia.blogspot.com/

So let's build and destroy and build again.  Maybe Brody will be a mosaic artist or demolition man or a teacher of God's word when he grows up. 

No comments: