Sunday, April 3, 2011

Celebrating Life Part 2



Let me just say how fun it is to hold your child and say "You born right now this time ____ years ago."

I loved hugging Brody this morning telling him about his birthday five years ago.  My sweet little 2 lb. wonder has brought us so much joy.  It's been a delight thinking about how far God has brought Brody.  We are a blessed family indeed.  Many would not call us blessed, but I think it's all in the perspective we have.  While having a baby in the NICU for many weeks is hard, it's also very neat to watch a life so tiny grow.  Not many moms can say they watch their baby's eyelashes and nails grow.  He only had a 40% chance of surviving, and we watched him triumph over the odds.  His "strong will" came out on day one.  

I've been saying it all week, "It's good to be able to celebrate life!"  None of us are guaranteed tomorrow so we must be thankful for today, for this year, for these five years. 

It's been a more quiet celebration today due to Brody being sick and having to go to the doctor.  He has a wheezy Bronchitis.  Even the doctor commented how no one should be sick on their birthday.  It was a blessing Ryan's family came to North Carolina last week, and we got to do a small party for Brody last Saturday.  He had a How to Train Your Dragon party.

As a part of the celebration, here are some of my favorite Brody pictures.  I have so many that it's really hard to pick a few out for the blog.
It takes a lot of energy to keep body temperature.  There are ladies who crochet tiny hats so babies can be held for a few minutes by their family without burning all their calories.  This is an awesome ministry. 
Brody's first pair of sunglasses.  We kept his giggly bear from Aunt Allison in his bed.

Pacifiers are difficult when they are as big as your face is.
"Praise the Lord!"  First time to wear clothes at six weeks old.
Brody's first night home.  I was so scared to have a 4 lb. 10 oz. baby at home.
My kids first picture together.  Basket from Stephanie and Hunter.



Since the time he could stand, Brody has loved the drums.

Three years old- the year of the dinosaur
Corky, Brody, and me
1st day of 4 yr. old preschool

Brody asked for "spiky" hair
Christmas Eve service- B's first time to sit in big church
For months, Brody asked for an aircraft carrier boat for Christmas

I asked Brody to draw a picture of his family.  He drew our house with a mailbox and tree.  He drew Ryan, me, himself, and Maggie.  Then he drew two babies holding hands that are going to be his brothers one day.  Brody is conceived we are adopting twins from India.  He says, "I love them sooooooo much!"  I hope he gets his wish.
Brody's best friends
Just a glimpse of the smile I have loved for the past five years.  Brody is creative, and he is a great problem solver.  He fills our home with the wonderful sound of laughter.  Brody keeps us on our toes because he is always getting into something, and I must say, he entertains us well. 

No comments: