Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Healthy Food

Ryan and I are trying to eat healthy right now plus lose a few pounds, and it is hard.  My top 3 struggles are...1- is it's hard to find healthy food that actually tastes good to us. 2- it's hard to find healthy food that is not expensive.  3- it's hard because I not creative and only really have a few meals I can cook in the healthy category.
Help!  

What are some healthy meals and snacks you eat? 

Let's do a give and take blog.  
I'll share a few things I have found that are tasty, and 
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE recommend something in return.

I'm a southern gal who likes everything fried, but I'm also a southern gal who wants to look nice.
Living a longer and healthy life might be nice too.   ;-)

This is usually my breakfast, but it makes for a good snack too.  The Fiber One oats and chocolate bar is my favorite.   It has total of 140 calories and 35 calories from fat.  The best part is that is has 9 grams of fiber.
Sandwich Thins are the best thing since sliced bread.  I love these!!!   I buy the wheat ones with 100 total calories a roll and 10 calories from fat.  It also has 5 grams of fiber. 
Here is my lunch from today.  It was really yummy!
These are the chips on my plate.  I'm big fan of the chips, and Special K Cracker Chips makes for one happy woman.  I can have 30 chips for 110 calories.  And the dietary fiber total is 3 grams!
I bought the large vegetable platter from SAM's for $10.  With produce being so expensive right now, I actually come out cheaper buying my salad toppings this way.  It also makes for good snacks in between meals. 

And what's a food blog without a recipe?  Here is a meal I made last week. 

GARBANZO BEANS WITH RICE


Read more about it at www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1950,144190-241192,00.html
Content Copyright © 2011 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.
1/3 c. olive oil
1 white onion, chopped
1 rib celery
1 carrot
1/2 green pepper
1 (6 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 (15 oz.) can garbanzo beans, drained (9 g. of fiber people!!!)
3 c. boiling water
Salt and pepper to taste
3/4 c. rice (You can use white rice, but I prefer Basmati rice.  It's a good Indian fragrant rice.)
Brown onion with the olive oil in a saucepan. Add the celery, carrot and pepper. Add the tomato sauce and bring to a boil. Then add the water. When it comes to a boil, add the beans. When it comes to a boil for 5 minutes, add rice and stir frequently until the rice is cooked, about 20 minutes. Stir in some fresh or dry parsley.
If you don't want a vegetarian meal, then stir fry some shrimp to go with it.   I cooked shrimp with Indian seasons to go with mine. 

1 comment:

Shannon Bradley said...

OK, this woman is EXTREMELY healthy BUT has some GREAT starting points and weight loss stuff if you need it, like cutting out all high fructose corn syrup, eating more eggs!, etc.... www.kellythekitchenkop.com Take what you want , leave what you dont! :) I have lots of other healthy stuff I have learned but never stick to it! I am going to think of some healthy things we have tried that are yummy too! I added some on FB too for you!