Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Praise You In This Storm



As I was driving Brody to school this morning, Casting Crowns "Praise You in This Storm" came on the radio. I was delighted to hear this song because there was a time several years ago when it brought so much encouragement to me. Life with baby Brody was CRAZY! He was delayed in every area of his precious little life, and as a frustrated baby he would cry a lot. To go along with all the developmental delays, Brody also has a sensory disorder. He did not like soft textures at all (soft=all baby stuff). Normal children enjoy blankets and sweet hugs, but not my son. He went against everything I had in my mind about babies and being a mom. Brody needed much help from doctors and therapists. He had between 6-9 appointments every week. I was so worn out from going and going and going. The hubs was pretty tired too. He spent his off day driving almost three hours to Atlanta for Seminary classes. He would get home late late on Mondays. He was gone more nights of the week than he was home, and it was just a hard season in life. I felt so alone, and it got to a point that as Brody cried I cried too. The family motto was "it is what it is." We were in a difficult situation that you couldn't change anything about it. As crazy as it all was, it was still the situation God wanted for our family. God grew us and showed us things about Himself that we would not have learned without this trail. We are to praise God whether it's a good day or a bad day. It seemed like the storm in my life was going to rain down on me forever. I remained faithful, and you know what, the sun did come out in the sky. As a wise teacher used to tell me, "This too shall pass." Today is beautiful, and I can't help but to smile at all the blessings surrounding me. I can hardly believe I'm getting Brody ready for kindergarten this fall. We are treasuring this current season of our family's life. Will the storms come again? You better believe it! Things can't grow without the rain. I choose to take the storms head on, and as Brody says "Bring it!"

Psalm 46
1 God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.
2 Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
3 though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging.
4 There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy place where the Most High dwells.
5 God is within her, she will not fall; God will help her at break of day.
6 Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall; he lifts his voice, the earth melts.
7 The LORD Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress.
8 Come and see what the LORD has done, the desolations he has brought on the earth.
9 He makes wars cease to the ends of the earth.
He breaks the bow and shatters the spear; he burns the shields with fire.
10 He says, “Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”
11 The LORD Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress.

No comments: