Monday, May 30, 2011

Happy Memorial Day

I have never been able to think of the day as one of mourning; I have never quite been able to feel that half-masted flags were appropriate on Decoration Day.  I have rather felt that the flag should be at the peak, because those whose dying we commemorate rejoiced in seeing it where their valor placed it.  We honor them in a joyous, thankful, triumphant commemoration of what they did.  ~Benjamin Harrison

Happy Memorial Day!  I'm so thankful for our freedom.  I'm thankful to the men and women who serve and have served for our country.  I'm thankful for the military families who have also sacrificed so their husbands and wives could serve.   Freedom always comes at a cost!


Our family has had a blast today!  Ryan made an awesome lunch of ribs, baked beans, and potato salad.  Then he made his Gran's homemade ice cream (recipe below).   I watched Brody and his friends play in the sprinkler.  I even blew up a lot of water balloons for them.  Then as soon as I'm finished writing this blog, I'm going to go cut up a watermelon.  It's just a good day!

Gran's Homemade Ice Cream
6 eggs, 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 c. sugar, 2 large cans evaporated milk, 1 tsp. vanilla, dash of salt, milk (about 1 qt.)

Beat eggs with electric mixer until they are very thick and light yellow. (This takes about 15 minutes.  This is the secret to making this ice cream.)  Add sugar and salt; continue beating.  Add evaporated milk and continue to beat.  Add vanilla and mix well.  Pour into freezer container.  Fill with milk--about 1 quart.  Makes 1 gallon.

For Chocolate: Use same basic recipe, but use 1 cup of sugar instead of 1 1/2 cups.  Fill freezer with chocolate milk instead of white.  Also can use only 1 can of evaporated milk instead of 2.
"It's COLD!"  Thanks to the Ackermans for the new ice cream machine.
The boys eating the ice cream.


Ribs  
Brody's Buzz Lightyear Rocket


Nothing's better than a good old fashion sprinkler. 





No comments: