Saturday, May 28, 2011

So Teach Us To Number Our Days


I'm thankful to spend my days with these guys!
Psalm 90 Everlasting to Everlasting
A Prayer of Moses, the man of God.


1 Lord, you have been our dwelling place in all generations.
2 Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever you had formed the earth and the world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God.
3 You return man to dust and say, “Return, O children of man!”
4 For a thousand years in your sight are but as yesterday when it is past, or as a watch in the night.
5 You sweep them away as with a flood; they are like a dream, like grass that is renewed in the morning:
6 in the morning it flourishes and is renewed; in the evening it fades and withers.
7 For we are brought to an end by your anger; by your wrath we are dismayed.
8 You have set our iniquities before you, our secret sins in the light of your presence.
9 For all our days pass away under your wrath; we bring our years to an end like a sigh.
10 The years of our life are seventy, or even by reason of strength eighty; yet their span is but toil and trouble; they are soon gone, and we fly away.
11 Who considers the power of your anger, and your wrath according to the fear of you?
12 So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom.

My first thought of Psalm 90 is pessimism, but as I read it over and over I'm filled with great optimism.  Psalm 90 deals with the sad side of life, one I don’t usually like to focus on. Given the choice of Psalm 90 or Psalm 91, I would gladly choose Psalm 91. 

So why does Psalm 90 got me feeling so good? 

 God is eternal! 
 God is from everlasting to everlasting. 

I'm just a mortal human.  My life is so short compared to eternity.  I'm nothing without God.  It is only faith in the eternal God that makes life meaningful.  Moses compared our lives to a watch in the night, a dream, grass that flourishes and then fades--all brief and fleeting images.  Then he prayed this,

"So teach us to number our days."


We need to “number our days.” People tend to focus either on the past or the future. Young people usually focus on the future. Older people think about the past. We reluctantly focus on the present. Life is short with no guarantee of tomorrow.  It is important to fulfill our purpose today.


Have you numbered your days lately?

How many remaing days do I have with my child?  It seems like yesterday Brody was born, and now he will start kindergarten this fall.  The days will pass by quickly until he graduates, gets married, and has children of his own.  The thought of this makes numbering my days with him so important.  I want to show him love and teach him everything I can while he is under my care.

How many remaining days do I have with my husband?  Each day I have the opportunity to encourage him, to cheer him on, and support him in all that he does.  I love Ryan very much, and should we be blessed with 50 years of marriage (18,262 days) it would still not be enough days to tell him how wonderful he is.

How many remaining days do I have
with friends and family?
to share the gospel?
to defend the orphan?
to give my best at the jobs I do?

Psalm 90 encourages me to seize the day!  I will number my days so I can give them everything I've got.  I'll blog and while cackling Carpe Diem!




No comments: