Sunday, May 1, 2011

Sweet Home Alabama

 
The pilot gave Brody wings to wear.

Home is a shelter from storms - all sorts of storms. ~William J. Bennett
Brody and I went to Alabama for his Spring Break, and it was quite the adventure.  For me, it's always good to go home.  On Easter morning, we went to the 8:00 service at church, and then we were off to the airport. 

B loved his first plane ride.  The pilots and flight attendants gave him so much wonderful attention.  I was unsure of how Brody would react to flying because he does take medication daily for anxiety.  The hospitality shown to him was a great help.  It's amazing how going out of your way to show kindness can make for a great memory to someone.  Hooray for the Delta Airline folks! 

My mom, Mimi, picked us up at the Birmingham airport.  We went straight to the zoo from there.  Brody is always begging to go to the zoo so this is a huge treat for him.  He will ask me to go the zoo every week.  The kid loves animals.  His favorite is the Komodo Dragon.  The new elephants were great to watch, and they will be adding two more elephants over the summer.  My favorite part was riding on a camel.  It's been on my bucket list since I was six years old.  It's $5.50 per person for a very short ride, but it was worth it to have my goal accomplished.
Mimi and Pop got Brody Mario Kart for Easter.  Brody was delighted!  He got everyone to play with him, even Pop.
I wished we lived closer to my parents because Brody loves seeing them.  Brody will hug his Mimi and say, "I sure do love you my GRANDmommy!"  It touches my heart that he thinks they are so grand like I do.  I just love all the hugs and good food while I'm home. 

Brody helping to make biscuits
 We made lots of fun memories while we were in Alabama, but there were also some disasterous sights that will forever be in my memory as well.  On Wednesday afternoon, many tornados hit my Sweet Home Alabama.  It was horrifying to watch.  My family was very blessed and suffered no damage, but there was so much of my old stomping ground that was destroyed.  There have been 250 people who have died and many who have lost their homes.  The Heart of Dixie has lost much, but in these trails there has been many people who have shown great kindness to their neighbors.  Many ordinary individuals have become heros to those in need of help. 

This morning as I sat inside my nice comfortable church, I thought of those who lost their church and had to meet in parking lots.  I pray for the pastors who preached in these parking lots and then went to preach funerals afterwards.  On hard days such as these, I'm thankful for God's promise in Romans 8:28 "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."  God's grace amazes me how He takes the sin of this world and makes good of it.  Max Lucado said, "Your pain has a purpose. Your problems, struggles, heartaches, and hassles cooperate toward one end—the glory of God."  Alabama has many heartaches today, and I pray as a result many would see the glory of God.  Christains have to opportunity to be His hands and His feet in the weeks to come.  May the lost see His love in action, and may they desire to hear the gospel of the greatest love story...Jesus!

No comments: