Sunday, May 29, 2011

Motor Racing Outreach

We walked the track on Friday.

Motor Racing Outreach (MRO) is one of my favorite ministries.  It lets two of my "loves" combine...Nascar and serving people.  At every track, you're bound to come across the hospitality of MRO.  It varies from group to group as to what they do at different tracks.  Our church will serve in one of the campgrounds free food for four days with a worship service on Sunday morning.  I like this because it allows more time to build relationships, and it also gives non-believers the opportunity to watch Christians for a few days.  It's a lot of work for our Mission's Pastor Kem to gather, prep, cook, transport, and serve food (and it's good food).  This hard work pays off.  These Nascar fans really like Kem.  They smile when they see him, and they learn quickly they are welcomed and wanted in our big tent just the way they are.  So many are suprised to be served meals for free.  I'll get asked several times why we do this, and my answer is "Because you're worth this, and I really hope you have a great weekend."  Camping out and going to the race is a lot of families' vacation.  I truly do desire them to have the best vacation possible.  It delights my heart to watch these campers come get a hot breakfast after a long night in a tent or RV.  Many of these Nascar campers have begun to ask at the camp ground gates if the MRO tent is here this year.  They like to set up their camp near our big white tent.  It has developed a reputation of letting people know they are important.  Isn't that just what Christians are supposed to be doing in the world?  We are called to love God and love people.  I want to serve each of these Nascar fans just as if it was Jesus in front of me.   If you ever get asked to volunteer for MRO, say yes to the opportunity as quick as possible.  Go be His hands and His feet.  Go and treasure people as God treasures them!

No comments: